Monday 11 June 2012

Film Review: LAST FLIGHT TO ABUJA

 By Yemi Ogunbayo
Phew! Let me start by stating that I'm your average movie goer, not a film critic by trade. I'm writing this review by the pure chance of finding myself sitting next to the SPY publisher at the premier last Friday and I took him up on his dare to do it. So here we go...

Coming from the stables of Obi Emelonye - the multiple award winning producer of the critically acclaimed The Mirror Boy, making another decent project was bound to be a tall order but rest assured that Last Flight To Abuja was squarely up to the task. And its hardly surprising considering that Emelonye as always hand-picked the choicest members of both cast and crew.
I found the overall production to be fantastic specifically the high definition image and true-to-life visual effects that were so real that I on occasions actually felt a part of the action. However early on, the sound in the long moving car scene after the Abuja trip was announced was a bit of an issue for me because the ambient and street noises almost drowned out the dialogue between the characters of Hakeem Kae-Kazim and Uche Odoputa.
With that behind me, I particularly loved the scene where lead actress Omotola caught her fiancé in the very act as this shows a typical behaviour of men although as a woman, I wonder if her rather over-passive reaction can be described as typical of many women in real life.
As would be expected, the celebrated high calibre cast were on point – doing what they do best. It was rather sweet seeing Jim Iyke not being too nasty for a change but the co-pilot (Celine Loader) did leave a refreshing and lasting impression in my mind reflecting the great female talents we have in Africa. Even the not-so-familiar faces were impressive.
Obi Emelonye
Thanks to its “who-done-it” factor Last Flight was thrilling and full of suspense and drama - not knowing what was going to happen next. Honestly I’m still wondering whether or not Hakeem Kae-Kazim’s character did plant an explosive device in the cabin's toilet that started the smoke and subsequent engine failure or if the engineers had missed something during their pre-flight inspection. For that reason alone, I can’t wait to go and see the film again immediately it is released. But still, I wish it was stretched  a bit longer because it ended just as I was beginning to catch my breath and savouring my popcorn...
Against the background of the recent Dana Air crash, to whose victims - as well as those of the Accra incident the film is dedicated - the visionary relevance of “Last Flight To Abuja” cannot be overstated and one hopes that the Federal Aviation authorities of Nigeria are watching and taking all the drastic actions required to make flying an enjoyable and safer experience in the country.
As a lover of Nigerian movies I make every effort to keep up with the latest although I confess to not having seen “The Mirror Boy” yet, I still believe that “Last Flight To Abuja” is one of the best Nollywood productions I’ve seen to date. Its a wrap!

3 comments:

  1. This is interesting. I like the idea of getting a regular film goer to review the film and she seems to know what she's on about. I'm not too keen on Nollywood movies but she makes me want to go and see Last Flight To Abuja.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine who saw this movie says its not as good as Mirror Boy. What a shame

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why should this person come here to compare last flight with mirror boy? Well it is a bigger shame for u now that the movie is no2 at the west african cinemas. Ode

    ReplyDelete

Due to spammers and inappropriate language, comment moderation has been enabled. Thanks for your kind cooperation.